E-commerce Website Design | 11 Min Read
Posted on: Monday September 30, 2019Reading Time: 11 minutes
The launch of API’s at Shopify Unite 2019 will definitely empower merchants in various aspects; edit orders, customize process of fulfilment, narrate better brand stories, and much more.
In this post, we’ve gathered all the facts associated with every new or updated API announced at this year’s partner and developer conference with highlighting new features with app extensions, and quick rundown on developer products.
Shopify has always been emphasizing on “amazing user experience” with easy to integrate API’s for developers in any of shopify development company across the globe. Let’s dive further to discover what’s being launched to make developers of Shopify UAE more powerful:
1. Translations APIs- Now merchants will avail facility of trading in several languages (currently available only in developer preview) with set of newer platform capabilities for fully multilingual shopping experience. The 3 variants of API available includes:
These new API’s would be helpful for multi-language store fronts with international merchants & buyers.
2. Sections API’s– Another major announcement was new online store design experience (currently seen in developer preview mode) which resulted in important changes to themes. The theme api has also gone several changes; new properties & endpoints for pages whereas up-gradation of blog, assets & sections unlocking opportunity for section management through API’s
3. Fulfillment API- The merchants will gain full controls and visibility in order fulfillment module from this API having functionality of multi-location order fulfillment, improved visibility in fulfillment process (merchants), facilitates better communication (app and merchant), and ability to decline fulfillment request if required.
4. Order Editing API- Another in-demand feature by partners and merchants is order editing (currently available in developer preview). This API allows merchants to add, remove, or switch items before or after an order has shipped. Just make sure that your apps are ready for this update and explore new possibilities of orders getting open-ended. It also includes new post-purchase, upsell solutions and supporting purchasing experiences.
5. Delivery Profiles- The new delivery profiles API are being optimized for checkout experience to get more sales by setting products per location shopping rules. It has complete authority to write in shipping settings using GraphQL. The set shipping rules are based on product characteristics (eg. bulky, fragile, etc.), as well as on place from inventory is shipped (eg. supplier). This new API allows user to create and modify shipping rules and reduce dependency on manual merchant intervention.
6. Discount API-Now automate your discounts procedure for merchants through a new type called Automatic Discounts via the new GraphQL Discounts API. In addition there’s an alternative to old Price Rules method of creating code discounts with new Code Discounts API, that’s more efficient and easy for developers.
7. Bulk API- Retrieve large set of data with speed &simplicity, just need to specify requirement in dataset for Shopify to proceed further. In easier words, applications can move ahead of API throttles; move your bulk operations (eg. order exporting) from REST paginated flow to Bulk API mutations.
8. Media API- Now developers can associate video and 3D model assets with a product via the Media APIs which was restricted to images only. Latest additions to GraphQL Admin API enable users to create, update, retrieve, and delete video and 3D models, while additions in Storefront API will enable returning value of these new media types on particular products for use along with custom storefronts.
9. Private Metafields API- Now admins can create metafields exclusively for their apps, helping to ensure metafield data is managed by admins user only. It also prevent other apps from reading or accessing your stored metafield data on particular resources: customers or products.
10. Billing API: Now developers can utilize Shopify’s Billing API in GraphQL which’s structured differently from REST, with emphasis on future feature development. There will introduction of two new webhook topics with the GraphQL Billing API in coming times.
One can get real-time updates in webhooks when status of an app one-time purchase (application charge) or app subscription (recurring application charge) on merchant shop gets changed. The webhook topics will use new Billing API terminology in GraphQL.
11. Multi-currency: Now all Shopify merchants will have the ability to sell in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments which earlier was available to Shopify Plus merchants only. Now Admin APIs will respond with both presentment currency (buyers currency), and shop currency (merchant’s currency). Since multi-currency is available on all Shopify plans, presentment currency can be different from shop currency at any store.Follow migration guide on Shopify and update your apps to support selling in multiple currencies today.
There are some app extensions to surface the functionality of apps whenever merchants need it most, some of them are mentioned below:
12. POS Cart extension: This extension allows apps creating discounts through loyalty programs or promotions directly within POS Cart. It advances discoverability during checkout, and reduce time intervals required for applying discounts. The store staff will get to view available loyalty rewards or promotions in the cart more easily and stay focused to ensure that client gets amazing in-store experience. It also enables POS app developers to access new functionality for improvising user experience, door of new possibilities for developers interested in creation of loyalty or promotion apps for in-store context.
13. Checkout extension: Now Shopify Partners can build apps extending into checkout meaning subscription apps will integrate into Shopify checkout. The developers can access their app’s information seamlessly, and buyers can purchase subscription goods and services without the checkout flow. This extension will be available for subscription later this year.
14. Updated app extensions: Kit Skills app extension & Marketing Activities app extension are out of beta source with improvised e-commerce automation platforms will be helpful for developers to better engage on-the-go merchants, through conversational prompts, easier and more contextual access to apps for admins & building easier, quicker, and powerful connectors.
For developers of a leading shopify development company, there are number of new and updated tools and resources launched, including:
We’ll be updating you with new content based on web design & development to explore new APIs more deeply.